Easy access to external repositories.

Artur Szostak aszostak at partner.eso.org
Mon Jun 15 05:38:24 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I want to touch on the topic of external repositories for MacPorts again (related to https://trac.macports.org/ticket/46954).

To summarise:
- If I am not mistaken in my interpretation of the previous email exchange, there appear to be use cases for allowing easy addition and removal of external repositories. (This is irrespective of whether I can move my Portfiles over to the standard repository.)
- There is no existing standard mechanism for this in MacPorts.
- There is a little bit of support for using the solution indicated in ticket 46954. Though this approach is considered somewhat hackish.
- We have some agreement that a cleaner approach would be to have something like a /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf.d/ path where additional repository configuration files could be added or removed, rather than modifying the master config file directly. Though there is some concern for handling the prioritisation.
- A long term goal for a generic solution may come with using libsolv for dealing with prioritisation.

So what should be done about ticket 46954?
Should it be dropped? Accepted? or should the /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf.d/ directory option be implemented first and then 46954 adjusted to the new scheme?
If the consensus is the latter, then what would be the timeframe for such an update to MacPorts?

Kind regards.

Artur