Opinions on converting Pallet to using the command line, versus Tcl bindings

Kyle Sammons ksammons at macports.org
Thu Jun 18 16:56:58 PDT 2015

Hey all,

It's reaching the point in my project where I have everything running, save
the core functionality, which hasn't been updated/modernized yet. Currently
Pallet uses Tcl bindings for Objective-C to issue commands and communicate
with Macports, rather than simply piping input/output to/from the command
line. But, because Pallet is rather old, it still uses the system version
of Tcl, rather than the Macports specific version of Tcl, meaning that
currently it can't actually communicate with Macports.

So, I'm left at the decision to either try to link the two together and
continue development of Pallet the way it's been going, or, to scratch it
and convert it to just simply issuing commands and parsing output. So I was
hoping to get the opinions from the community, seeing as this is a
community application. :)

The pro's for converting to a CLI/GUI application that I can think of;

Pros:
-More future proof. Literally anything can change on the backend as long as
the commands remain the same.
-Smaller code base. The current code base is fairly large, and converting
it to a CLI/GUI application would significantly shorten it.
-Future commands would be easier to implement.

Thanks,
-Kyle