[MacPorts] #47947: qt5-creator-mac @3.2.2 fails to build

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Fri Jun 19 01:53:22 PDT 2015

On 19 June 2015 at 09:22, Marko Käning <MK-MacPorts at techno.ms> wrote:
> Hi, I am saying the opposite!
> It always built fine for me in parallel, which is why I raised this issue.

Just to put things in context you're referring to [1] but that ticket
is about failing build and doesn't mention parallel building at all.
Also you are not the reporter there, like you seem to imply.

In fact the port never had parallel build to start with, it was added
in revision 121555 [2] with parallel building already disabled.
Are you using a custom Portfile?

I dealt with a specific port whose build would fail in one out of
three or four consecutive build. That was hard to catch since I was
assuming building was deterministic, but actually something was
changing the state of the system enough to slow down a task that was
needed by the other.
So multiple correct builds don't ensure parallel building will always
work, while one single broken build confirms it won't. It works until
it works and then you disable it (or fix the makefiles).

That said I have no idea why mcalhoun disabled parallel building in
first place, you can file a new ticket asking to enable it but ticket
#47947 doesn't seem the appropriate place to discuss that.

[1] http://trac.macports.org/ticket/47947#comment:3
[2] http://trac.macports.org/changeset/121555

--
Andrea