opencv version 3 vs. 2

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 20 11:14:59 PDT 2015

On Jun 20, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Marko Käning wrote:

> Hi stromnov,
>
> recently opencv was updated from version 2 to 3, which left at least 2 dependent
> ports in limbo [1,2] and there might be even more out there...
>
> I think this may ask for a new port opencv2, until its dependent ports can also
> handle version 3.
> Do you agree?
>
> If so, I'd suggest to take opencv's latest commit before v3 and create a sub-port
> opencv2 within opencv's portfile.
>
> Greets,
> Marko
>

> [1] VLC-devel: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/48067
> [2] digikam: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/48081

If fixing those two ports is more complicated than just updating them to a newer version, or copying an existing patch from upstream, then yes, it would be fine to create an opencv2 port. However, while it should be based on the last commit of the opencv port before it was updated to version 3, it would need to be modified to install its files to different locations, so that it does not conflict with the opencv port.