pypi

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Jun 23 08:49:55 PDT 2015

On Jun 23, 2015, at 10:53 AM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> I just prepared a new python module that depends on some "sourceforge
> defaults".

I don't understand. Don't you have to set "master_sites sourceforge:something" to get this kind of behavior? Could you post the portfile or commit it somewhere?

> 111 python modules use GitHub setup for example. I can easily imagine
> that maste_sites between GitHub and pypi will clash (among other
> things).

So those modules would just include python-1.0 before github-1.0.

> One of the very serious problems of python-1.0 is that there is no way
> to revert any changes. Ports for some software that is written in C
> and would need access to different ${python.foo} variables need to
> reinvent the wheel since including "python 1.0" redefines so much that
> the portgroup becomes useless (if clang[++] should still be used).
> (One such example is gis/grass, but there are others that have to
> redefine the complete path to python modules.)

The portgroup could certainly be improved, especially for use by non-module ports, but there are ways to do this without introducing an option that just says "yes" or "no".

vq