github portgroup design

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Jun 23 15:48:22 PDT 2015

On Jun 23, 2015, at 5:21 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> Yes, but then we get into the problem of order of inclusion. If the github portgroup sets default master_sites, and the python portgroup sets default master_sites, which one gets used depends on the order you include the portgroups, which isn't great.

Another possibility could be to establish some sort of precedence guidelines.

For instance, I think it's reasonable to assume that a port that includes github-1.1 _really_ intends to fetch from GitHub, while a port that uses python-1.1 may or may not want to fetch from PyPI. So python-1.1 would defer to github-1.1.

> Github offers its "pages" service, where you get one web site per github author, with subpages for each project. Where currently these have to be written into the port manually, I thought that might become "homepage ${github.author.page}" or "homepage ${github.project.page}".

+1

> I planned to make the default for github.project be ${name} and the default for github.version be ${version} (since currently we do the reverse of that).

Wouldn't all the portgroup's settings take effect by default then? What would be your trigger?

vq