github portgroup design

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 23 16:07:20 PDT 2015

On Jun 23, 2015, at 5:58 PM, Sterling Smith wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2015, at 3:51PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Wouldn't all the portgroup's settings take effect by default then? What would be your trigger?
>>
>> Setting github.author would be the trigger for setting the defaults for github.project, github.version, and others.
>>
> If the python portgroup triggers off of python.versions and the github portgroup triggers off of github.author, does this introduce the same problem as the order of the PortGroup include statements (this particular point of PortGroup order was raised on the pypi thread).

Yes, except there would be no compulsion to alphabetize such commands as there is with portgroup inclusion commands. We could either define an order, such as "you must define github.author before you define python.versions", or the python portgroup could be rewritten to set its default master_sites later somehow.