How to deal with ports-filesystem violation?

Marko Käning mk-macports at posteo.net
Sun Jun 28 16:15:19 PDT 2015

Hi Lawrence,

On 29 Jun 2015, at 00:54 , Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
> Is this our Qt5?

Yes, it is. :)

> If so, I think it would be best if we modify it so that it looks inside
> ${prefix}/Library also. It won't be good if all KF5 ports need to install junk
> into /Library.

Ha, I did that a year ago already, but I am not keen to patch Qt5 itself anymore,
since this had been discussed at length with the Qt devs. They eventually argued
that Qt5 and all apps based on it should make use of OSX’ standard directories and
thus let QStandardPaths (QSP) succeed and not tweak anything in Qt’s code base.

If you have the time, you may read those two long debates [1,2] and let us know
what you think.

However, René was courageous enough to patch qt5 anyways [3] and I guess it is up
to the MacPorts team to somehow decide, which way we should go wrt to Qt5’s QSP.
A QSP-patched Qt5 would certainly have the MacPorts-ish advantage of

   “freedom of choice” wrt letting all files live under the MacPorts-prefix
                       in locations where they are also to be found on Linux

as René formulated it a couple of times.

Any suggestions?

Greets,
Marko

[1] https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/103277/