port upgrade outdated order

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 4 08:25:56 PST 2015

On 04/03/15 15:57, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
>> On Wednesday March 04 2015 08:58:17 Chris Jones wrote:
>>> ports themselves cannot opt in or out, and nor should they be able to.
>>> Its up to the user running the port command to decide.
> That's too dogmatic. I have presented a case where the options are
> either using trace mode to successfully build ports (ports in the
> conflicts_build group which conflict with themselves) or fail. In that
> case, trace mode has to be forced for this particular port if no
> preference has been specified. If the user explicitly disables trace
> mode via a command line switch (which does not exist yet, as it's not
> the default option or even one that could be enabled within
> ports/portgroups...), execution will fail like it does today, but the
> request should be honored.

OK, I'll rephrase then. It seems OK for a port to opt into tracemode, if
needed to fix bugs like this, but if the user has tracemode globally
disabled ports should not be allowed to opt out.

Personally though, I still it better to just enabled trace mode by
default globally, which will just naturally soak up all these cases. If
a user then decides to globally opt out, thats their concern.

> I'd make one exception from this rule: a setting in macports.conf should
> be overrideable by ports/portgroups (especially for the use case I
> mentioned when the possible ways to go are TRACE MODE or FAIL.)
> This also holds for positive settings for ports, which are known to fail
> in trace mode by the maintainer.

I would argue only with the above restriction. Opting in is perhaps
fine, but not out.

Chris