port upgrade outdated order

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 09:24:56 PST 2015

On Wednesday March 04 2015 16:52:50 Chris Jones wrote:

> If upstream cannot/wont fix, then if we want to keep the port in
> MacPorts, it should be worked around. trace mode (or anything that does
> the same thing, hides the installed version) strikes me as perfect here.

Agreed - and that's exactly an example of a case where some form of requiring trace mode in the portfile would be useful.

As to fixing ... the experience many of use have had with /usr/local can probably serve as an example/metaphor for why it's not always feasible to avoid including the wrong version of a header... (and I guess it should be easier to exclude or demote a directory from outside the prefix than to exclude/demote ${prefix}/include ...)

I wasn't completely PC about the exchange I had on the Qt ML: apparently attempts had been made to correct the particular issue I reported, which turned out to be too tricky.

R.