port upgrade outdated order

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Wed Mar 4 09:52:27 PST 2015

On 04.03.2015 05:52 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Wednesday March 04 2015 17:16:29 Mihai Moldovan wrote:
>
>> Our current workaround for this is the conflicts_build PortGroup, which
>> bails out and asks the user to deactivate the port in question. This is
>> ugly for several reasons:
>>   - it requires interactivity
>>   - a deactivated port is not listed in ``port outdated'' and can NOT be
>> used with ``port upgrade'', but must be re-installed with ``port
>> installed''.
>
> One can just activate any of the installed versions, and then do a
port upgrade, no?

If the port conflicts with *itself*? No, that's certainly impossible. It
must be deactivated and "upgraded" via ``port install ...''.

> On a related note: it'd be nice if MacPorts could be a little bit more
proactive in deactiving conflicting ports. Like when installing a
subport that conflicts with one of its siblings. If both are at the same
version I don't see why `port install foo-B` wouldn't cause the
automatic deactivation of port:foo-A as long as foo-A doesn't provide
anything others depend upon that foo-B doesn't provide. Same for say
qt5-mac and qt5-mac-devel, which are interchangeable but cannot be
installed at the same time. If I install or activate the one, the other
could be deactivated automatically.

Probably because it has never been implemented. Patches welcome, I
guess? Also, you'd have to make sure that foo-B builds correctly or, if
it fails, activate foo-A again after it failed. I don't know whether
MacPorts base can do this. I doubt it does.

> (just to be sure, if you declare a path: style dependency, the
provided path is recorded in the registry, right?)

No, why? The path-based dependency is not part of the portfile that
provides it, but some other, unrelated one.

Mihai