port upgrade outdated order

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Wed Mar 4 09:59:50 PST 2015

On 04.03.2015 06:29 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Wednesday March 04 2015 17:34:32 Mihai Moldovan wrote:
>
>>> Aren't you relying on the assumption that all ports register all the files they install?
>>
>> They really should. If they don't, that's arguably a bug. Exceptions may
>> apply.
>
> Let me clarify: do all ports register all files that are somehow related (not necessarily installed; possibly created afterwards, etc).

They should, but there are exceptions. For instance stuff done via port
select is not covered in the database. I'm sure there are other
examples, too, but I don't know any off-hand. I wouldn't know a use case
for not registering files off-hand either.

> This came up when we discussed using the archive tarballs to reinstall a port, or to recreate those tarballs from the currently installed stuff, and I remember there was good reason that ports can have associated files that are not registered.

Yes, probably, but I cannot remember those details.

>> I should add another fact to clear up some confusion: files, which are
>> not registered by a specific port are *not* affected by trace mode at
>> all. They can be accessed as-is. This also holds for symlinks that are
>> created by port select and the like.
>
> Which is exactly what I was getting at. If they were inaccessible (because trace mode allows access only to registered files that are sanctioned explicitly) you'd get an error, and the missing dependency becomes apparent. If a port can access them (because tracemode block access only to registered files that are not sanctioned explicitly) trace mode doesn't help.
> Granted, a marginal use case that got blown out of proportions because of an apparent communication glitch :)

Trace mode ALLOWS:
  - access to (most?) things outside of ${prefix} that is not /usr/local
  - access to files registered by a direct or indirect dependency of
    the port to be built within ${prefix}
  - access to files NOT registered by ANY port

Trace mode FORBIDS:
  - access to files in /usr/local
  - access to files in ${prefix} which are not owned by direct or
    indirect dependencies

Is this better?

Mihai