GSoC 2015 Idea Discussion

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 02:13:59 PDT 2015

On Monday March 09 2015 12:09:20 Jackson Isaac wrote:
>> > *2. Phase out dependency on Xcode completely *- Here are we going to use
>> No, the idea here is to use trace mode (an LD_PRELOAD-based sandbox that
>> hides files a port does not explicitly depend on) to hide the Xcode

All of Xcode? Doesn't that block access to the SDKs too, and is that going to require the use of a compiler installed through MacPorts?

I can see the use for not requiring the (obscenely huge) Xcode for the average MacPorts user, but why would those of us who need Xcode anyway be obliged to install another compiler for the probable majority of ports that build just fine with Apple's compiler? (Not to speak of the fact that last time I tried, the binary-shipped clang-mp-3.5 was still roughly 2x slower than Apple's version...)

R.