GSoC 2015 Idea Discussion

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 02:55:21 PDT 2015

On Monday March 09 2015 10:35:26 Clemens Lang wrote:
Hi,

>I don't know. It's part of the task to find out. Somehow the Command Line Tools
>succeed in producing working code without an Xcode installation and don't ship
>an SDK, so I'm assuming they are not needed for most ports.

Are there stats what percentage of the current ports build without Xcode installed? I have a hunch you'll find that a good part do depend on the SDK if not only because Qt (and presumable GTk{2,3}) use CoreFoundation and Carbon ...

>Nobody would be obliged to do that. The Command Line Tools are already a

OK, as long as nothing changes when one does have Xcode installed this would only be a plus. I guess :)

>(or rather, explicitly declaring) dependencies on Xcode. This way, we could
>print a good error message rather than have a build fail when a user doesn't
>have Xcode but tries to install a port that needs it.

So maybe it could (should) be part of the project to figure out during port development whether a port requires Xcode? (because I presume most port developers will have it installed and thus cannot easily do the obvious test).

R.