GSoC 2015 Idea Discussion

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Mar 9 06:11:25 PDT 2015

Hi,

----- On 9 Mar, 2015, at 13:12, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

> Interesting, given the trouble I encountered when I installed the latest CLT
> instead of the latest Xcode (because of reported issues with the IDE). Maybe
> those were because I did have an older Xcode version in place, but the error
> was not "your Xcode version is too old".

Yes, I'd expect that was the issue.

> Do you have Qt and/or KDE ports installed?

I don't have homebrew installed, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have any
Qt or GTK ports.

> That's one (the easiest?) approach. It might be more efficient to provide a
> summary of what files or frameworks (from Xcode) were used after a successful
> build, rather than letting a build break (after an unknown amount of successful
> building).

That's a different mode of operation of trace mode, which is an independent
proposal from this one. I agree this might be useful, but it's not there yet.
Implementing that is unrelated to whether the feature is being used for Xcode,
though, so let's not discuss it in a thread on the Xcode dependency.

> Knowing what system frameworks/APIs a port *actually* uses, in addition to the
> within-MacPorts dependencies, could have its uses.

Yes.

--
Clemens Lang