Death of Google Code

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 13 11:03:56 PDT 2015

On Mar 13, 2015, at 12:46 PM, Mark Anderson wrote:

> Do we have any idea what we need to do/should do to prepare for the eventual shutdown of google code? I know a lot of stuff has been abandoning it, but I feel like we've got quite a few ports out there that will be hit.

Thanks, I was just going to post about this as I just read the announcement myself.

MacPorts mirrors distfiles, so most ports, including those hosted at Google Code, should continue to install fine, even if the original download location disappears. It is possible that, for whatever reason, we failed to mirror some port's distfiles, so there may be exceptions.

We should still try to identify which ports are using a Google Code project as their homepage or master_sites location, see if the projects have already moved elsewhere, and, if so, update the ports. And if not, see if the developer has plans to move. And if not, encourage them to do so.

Each maintainer should probably take it upon themselves to do this for the ports they maintain. And we should all try to do this for any such ports that are unmaintained.