PortGroup versioning and scope

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:01:20 PDT 2015

Hi,

An extension to the PortGroup versioning came up in discussing a ticket concerning the CMake portgroup.
As suggested I'm bringing this up over here, shamelessly copying from the email alert, below.
The question is: would this fit with the intended function of portgroup versioning.

On a related note: it'd be very useful too if portgroup files in a non-default port repository could override those in repositories with lower priority (order in sources.conf).

R.

Comment (by larryv@…):

 > with a scheme in which `PortGroup cmake 1` loads the most recent v1.x
 > portgroup, while `PortGroup cmake 1.x` would include the exact 1.x
 > version. That would allow portfiles that don't do anything "weird"
 > like copying things from ${build.dir} to ${destroot} can always use
 > the latest portgroup version, while ports with specific requirements
 > can specify what version they need. This seems so logical when
 > versions are already supported that the feature maybe exists already?

 It doesn’t; the version is used as-is. Better versioning is not a bad
 idea, but discuss it elsewhere. It’s a policy matter, not a technical one.
 (Implementing this would take literally ten minutes.)

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33259#comment:51>