[134311] trunk/dports/devel/hub/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 22 12:56:19 PDT 2015

On Mar 21, 2015, at 11:23 PM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:

>>> -depends_lib         port:git
>>> +depends_build       port:go
>>>
>>> +depends_lib         port:git \
>>> +                    port:go
>>
>> Adding a library dependency is equivalent to adding a build dependency and a runtime dependency. So you don't need to (and shouldn't) add go as a build dependency when it is also listed as a library dependency.
>
> While it's doing the same, the semantics are slightly different -- and,
> given the recent hope we may finally get a SAT solver -- even somewhat
> justified.
>
> It doesn't make a difference currently, though, so I'm happy to
> recommend whatever you see fit.

I haven't read the SAT solver thread yet. But nothing is going to change the fact that if something is a library dependency, then that thing is required both at build time and at runtime, and I doubt we're going to change the MacPorts custom that if you declare something a library dependency then there is no need to separately declare that same thing to be a build or runtime dependency because that would make a lot of unnecessary work for everyone.

Now, if you're saying that that go is not actually used as a library, but that it is used at build time and at runtime, and your argument is that you should specify go as a build dependency and as a runtime dependency and not as a library dependency, then I could understand that, and for that situation that may be what we do in the future.