fetch ssl errors on _some_ buildbots

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Mar 22 15:07:48 PDT 2015

On 2015-03-22 20:47, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> We should totally ship a newer version of curl and openssl or gnutls with MacPorts, like we already ship a version of Tcl.

I don't think it is worth to invest resources into this. The usual
policy is to support the latest two releases of OS X. Any release older
than OS X 10.9 Mavericks should be considered legacy.

Pulling more dependencies into base means we need to actively maintain
them. This is especially critical for SSL libraries and a certificate
bundle. I am afraid we would start to implement our own package
management for the base of our package manger.

One possible solution could be to use ports installed by MacPorts also
for its base. However, that cannot be done at the moment. Maybe once we
have a SAT resolver for dependencies we could have a special set of base
dependencies that cannot be uninstalled.

Also, I am reluctant to pull software into base that is not covered by a
BSD license. OpenSSL has an advertising clause, GnuTLS is LGPL.

Rainer