using CUDF for SAT solving

Jackson Isaac jacksonisaac2008 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 08:24:26 PDT 2015

Hi Clemens,

I saw the apt-get and other implementations using CUDF. From what I
understood was that the cudf solver is installed on the machine and if
it is found we will send our portfile to cudf solver after
interpreting and modifying the PortFile format to cudf format.

libCUDF C bindings are available so we could use that. Or we stick to
the Boolean SAT solving technique?

If we use Bool SAT solver, we will need to implement the wheel (didn't
quite understand what it actually means, but does it mean creating the
dependency tree and then finding the best plan). CUDF already provides
this and in an efficient way then we could probably go with that since
many package managers are implementing them. One reason would be
better and clean results using CUDF.

So why not MacPorts also join in the league with them :)