[134510] dports/x11/freeglut

Jack Howarth howarth.at.macports at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 16:02:55 PDT 2015

Jeremy,
       The situation with freeglut 3.0.0 is described in
http://sourceforge.net/p/freeglut/bugs/51/ and
http://sourceforge.net/p/freeglut/bugs/213/. Back in 2004, I filed the
first bug about the compatibility version being set too high on darwin
and it was ignored. This issue came back to bit us when upstream
switched the build to use cmake as that doesn't allow the
compatibility version to be manually set. Thus the freeglut 3.0.0
release ends up lowering the compatibility version to a number
sensible in the cmake build mechanism.
       In fink, we took the approach of creating a new freeglut2
package and stored the shared library in a buried directory. This
allows legacy binaries (built against the old freeglut compatibility
version) to retain access to the library from the freeglut-shlibs
split-off package and binaries built against the new freeglut2 package
to use the buried shared library from a freeglut2-shlibs split-off
package. The development headers and library symlinks are stored in
freeglut and freeglut2 packages which conflicts/replaces each other.
       I'm not sure how you will want to handle this in MacPorts due
to the limitations of the packaging mechanism, You may need to simply
rebuild everything against the new freeglut with the 'regressed'
compatibility version.
            Jack
ps The upstream developer decided to take the hit on darwin with this
breakage with the view that going forward the version/compatibility
numbering is now coherent.