Proper library version numbering

Adam Mercer ram at macports.org
Sat May 2 08:18:45 PDT 2015

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> Assuming gettext is an example of proper library version numbering, what's the relationship between version "0.19.4" and version "8" and version "10.3.0"? What do each of those numbers represent? What would be the appropriate circumstances when a developer would change each of those numbers?

I imagine they use libtool for generating the library so I assume the
numbers represent the library api version:

<https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#Updating-version-info>

I find it very confusing but I use the above whenever I release my
libraries in order to determine how I should update the library
version.

Cheers

Adam