upgrading/installing in a background process

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Tue May 5 01:19:28 PDT 2015

On 05.05.2015 10:09 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> I'd launched a `port upgrade outdated` on Bradley's VM late yesterday, connected over SSH, and pushed the process to the background when I had to call it a night. I left the SSH connection open but suspended my own machine.
> Just now I connected from another machine, noticed the upgrade hadn't completed and then saw this in `port log kdelibs4`
>
> {{{
> --->  Computing dependencies for kdelibs4:info:install .:debug:install error flushing "stdout": I/O error
> Error: Couldn't activate kdelibs4 4.14.7.16_150501_0+docs+nativefiledialogs+nostrip+osxkeychain: error flushing "stdout": I/O error
> Error: Follow http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
> DEBUG: Checking last run information.
> }}}
>
> apart from the weird fact that this apparently is the whole log, I wonder if there would be a way to avoid the abort on the flush error. It's not the first time I run into something like this, and it's rather annoying (the upgrade should have finished by now if it weren't for that otherwise trivial flush error).

The error isn't weird. The terminal STDOUT/STDERR/STDIN were connected to all of
a sudden vanished. What's weird about erroring out in such a case, especially if
the kernel is telling your application that it couldn't handle a write operation
on some specific FD?

If you want to be able to "call it a night", start port like any other process
on UNIX-like operating systems -- within tmux or screen, so that the file
descriptors do not simply vanish and the user can detach or reattch at will.

Mihai