[135847] trunk/dports/science/volk

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Wed May 6 12:27:29 PDT 2015

On May 6, 2015, at 2:59 PM, Michael Dickens <michaelld at macports.org> wrote:

> But, I disagree with the comment on the next line:
> {{{
> # As we only support libc++, clang is implicitly required.
> }}}
> Although we do not directly support libstdc++, it does work and is the
> default for 10.8 and prior, which MacPorts does still support (IIRC: to
> 10.6 officially; 10.5 unofficially). So, we should, IMHO, be taking
> these users into account when creating ports & PortGroups.

The MacPorts GCC ports do not use the system's libstdc++ / libsupc++; they use the copy from the libgcc{,-devel} ports.

Thus, any C++ ports compiled with our GCC compilers needs to depend on libgcc{,-devel} and should not use any of the system's C++ APIs.

And if those ports use any C++ APIs from other ports, those other ports need to have been built with our FSF GCC also.

And we currently have no way of accounting for C++ library/runtime during dependency resolution, so we should not allow use of the GCC compilers in the general case. Ports may be able to safely opt in on a case-by-case basis if they do not use any external C++ objects.

vq