libgcrypt-config with +universal

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu May 7 19:20:30 PDT 2015

On May 7, 2015, at 9:01 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Thursday May 07 2015 07:43:32 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Where did you notice this? This message is not printed by libgcrypt-config; it must've been printed by whatever used libgcrypt-config.
>
> Building something unpronouncable: port:gwenhywfar4
>
>>> and wouldn't it be more appropriate to set this variable to the hosts default bit width?
>>

>> We could perhaps, laboriously, patch libgcrypt-config to do that. But it would be nice to first know whether this would be of any benefit to anything.
>
> port:libgcrypt uses muniversal, so I'm guessing it ought to be only a question of copying the right libgcrypt-config to the combined destroot, no?

That's not how muniversal works. It merges the files produced for each arch. Looks like someone already noticed that the merge would fail because of this difference in host, and has chosen in the case of a universal build to replace it with "${os.arch}" (of the build machine) which would be either "i386" or "powerpc". If we want it to print a value based on the machine on which it's currently running then we would have to modify the code of libgcrypt-config to do that.

> That doesn't mean I don't agree it's a moot point if the my_host variable isn't used ... I suppose the port maintainer might know, or he could ask the libgcrypt devs.

I imagine the developer of libgcrypt will tell you of course host is used, else they wouldn't have provided an option in libgcrypt-config to find it. I'm sure it is used when cross compiling or on systems other than OS X.