generating extra documentation (port:kdelibs4)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri May 8 06:32:56 PDT 2015

On Friday May 08 2015 07:23:17 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Documentation -- especially documentation that takes a long time to build, has a lot of extra dependencies, or takes a lot of disk space -- should be in a separate port (possibly subport), not in a variant.

Usually I would agree, as normal users don't need the documentation and
it would only be helpful for developers. Although in this case it seems
to be a bit different.

On 2015-05-08 15:01, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> The alternative and probably most elegant approach would be to install a script that does something like
>
> - figure out the variants used in the active install
> - port configure kdelibs4 [+variants]
> - generate the documentation
> - install it in an appropriate place

With this approach you cannot create an archive for this port. The
dependency on variants of another installed port would be a hidden
parameter not reflected in the canonical version information of
name/epoch/version/revision/variants. Therefore the port would not allow
reproducible builds.

You could make the subport require the same set of variants as the
current active kdelibs4 port has. However, it feels like this makes
installation a little bit complicated for developers interested in this
documentation. Also, you would still be able to get another set of
variants in both ports by (de)activation after installation as such a
dependency is not explicitly modeled.

As the generation process for the documentation needs the full
configured sources anyway, an additional variant in the kdelibs4 port
seems to be more appropriate to me.

Rainer