Snow Leopard builder failing on SQLite database corruption

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 19 20:16:54 PDT 2015

On May 19, 2015, at 7:14 PM, Benjamin Gilbert wrote:

> The buildports-snowleopard-x86_64 builder is currently failing to
> complete every build but is reporting success anyway.  The stdio log
> for the "write portlist file" step says:
>
> Error: sqlite error: database disk image is malformed (11) while
> executing query: ATTACH DATABASE
> '/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db' AS registry
>    while executing
> "registry::open $db_path"
>    (procedure "mportinit" line 610)
>    invoked from within
> "mportinit "" "" """
> Error: Failed to initialize ports sytem: sqlite error: database disk
> image is malformed (11) while executing query: ATTACH DATABASE
> '/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db' AS registry
> child process exited abnormally
> [...]
>
> and then compile doesn't do anything because there is no portlist.

This build got interrupted with an exception:

https://build.macports.org/builders/buildports-snowleopard-x86_64/builds/35778

At that point the Snow Leopard builder was offline and I emailed Mac OS Forge admin (Keith) about it. He said there was a dialog box on the server requesting a restart, so he restarted it.

But the next build is where the registry database was corrupted:

https://build.macports.org/builders/buildports-snowleopard-x86_64/builds/35779

I don't know why the database got corrupted. I don't know how to fix the corruption. Saw a couple tickets about this error which were closed without satisfactory resolution.

Did the server's disk perhaps run out of space?

Does running a port command with sudo, e.g. "sudo port installed", work, and perhaps in the process cause the corruption to be fixed? (Keith: can you run that on the Snow Leopard builder to see?)

Keith: could you be more specific about the restart dialog? Was it a software update? A kernel panic? Something else?