libjpeg vs. libjpeg-turbo

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 23 18:17:16 PDT 2015

On May 22, 2015, at 3:57 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> In that light, it might also be a good idea to follow the Debian/Ubuntu lead on versioning, and prepend the major compatibility version to the port version so it becomes easier to compare them. Supposing MacPorts supports a colon in the version:
> libjpeg: 9:9a
> libjpeg-turbo: 8:1.4.0
> mozjpeg: 8:3.0

I don't know how MacPorts handles a colon in the version number. It's not something I've seen done in a MacPorts port before, so for that reason alone I'm a little reluctant to do that. Also, the library version is not information the user really needs to know, so I wouldn't necessarily put it in such a user-visible place as the port's displayed version number.

But if we do go forward with replacing jpeg with the user's choice of libjpeg-turbo or mozjpeg, it will become very important that if the library version of libjpeg-turbo or mozjpeg ever changes, they are both updated to that new library version at the same time, so we should at least add a prominent comment to both portfiles reminding the maintainer of this requirement.

We may even want to go so far as adding code to those two portfiles that causes them to prevent installation if the library version is not the one we want, to ensure that nobody accidentally commits an update that increases the library version.