port "activate instead"

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon May 25 14:21:16 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-25 19:20, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Monday May 25 2015 18:30:48 Mihai Moldovan wrote:
>
>> %> sudo port deactivate -f libVLC-devel
>> %> sudo port activate libVLC at 2.2.1_0+dbus+qtkit+quartz+x11
>>
>> and is not that bad anymore.
>
> Not that bad indeed, but still a lot of extra typing that could be rolled into a single command IMHO

You could combine both into a single command. Although it's kind of a
hack as this was actually meant for the interactive port shell:

  sudo port -f deactivate libVLC-devel \; activate libVLC

However, there is no way to use the global -f for force only for the
first deactivate action. Using 'port -f' will always apply the force to
the second action as well. In this case I would rather use two separate
commands.

That's also why I always prefer to write 'port -f deactivate' to clearly
distinguish between global (single dash) and action-specific (double
dash) command line flags.

Rainer