Volunteer for a workshop on "setting up your own buildbot/buildslave"?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Nov 12 04:01:37 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:15 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Another option: It should be possible to write code to detect whether any files in a destroot use a C++ library, and if so, MacPorts could include the C++ library name in the archive filename, otherwise don't. At archive fetch time, MacPorts wouldn't know whether a port uses C++ or not, but it could try to fetch both filenames and use whichever one exists.

Just one problem: let's assume that the package mirrors end up with a
package built against stdlibc++, but not in one built against libc++
(presumably because there was a build error). How would the client
know whether to fetch the package without libc++ in the name (assuming
it doen't contain any C++ code) or whether to build one itself? This
would only work if all libstdc++ archives would contain libstdc++ in
the name and the files without any "name extension" would be
guaranteed to be portable.

Plus one additional concern. There is a chance that we would have to
use (or at least deliberately decide to use) clang-3.4 as the default
compiler rather than gcc 4.2 on the system with libc++. Then users of
libc++/clang-3.4 would get code compiled with gcc 4.2 when fetching
binaries. I'm not saying this would necessarily lead to any problems,
but ...

Mojca