boost, akonadi and rev-upgrade

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 25 05:15:22 PST 2015

On Nov 25, 2015, at 5:32 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Wednesday November 25 2015 05:26:39 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Sounds like akonadi's revision should be increased to rebuild with this apparently incompatible new version of boost.
>
> Yep. At least that's what should happen at the next boost upgrade; annoyingly we cannot be sure that it will indeed be required.

Yes, in the absence of version information in the library, we cannot know if any given boost update will update a library in a way that is incompatible with existing programs. It will probably even vary from program to program, depending on which parts of which libraries those programs use. We are currently using the strategy of waiting until users report problems, then revbumping the problem ports. The alternative would be that we could revbump all ports that use boost with every boost update, even if that would result in some ports being rebuilt unnecessarily.

> I don't know how actively port:boost is maintained, and how complicated it would be at advertise this information?

We could add a comment to the boost portfile.

> The absence of version info *should* affect all platforms, no?

You mean all architectures on all versions of OS X? Yes.