32-bit builds?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 26 14:51:53 PST 2015

On Nov 26, 2015, at 9:03 AM, Mark Brethen wrote:

> The error message:
>
> :info:build ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
> :info:build clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> :info:build make[1]: *** [astgen] Error 1
>
> says "symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64" instead of "symbol(s) not found for architecture i386”. Can I tweak my build settings to allow a 32-bit build?

This error message means you are building for x86_64, and the symbols were not found for that architecture. It does not make any statement as to whether the symbols would be found for any other architecture nor whether the software supports or does not support x86_64. It might mean you forgot to specify the name of the library in which the symbols are found, or it could indicate a libc++/libstdc++ incompatibility. Or it could mean there is an architecture mismatch between the program and the library it's using, but since Macs have been x86_64 for many years that's not the first place I'd look.