font ports?

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Mon Nov 30 03:08:54 PST 2015

On 30 November 2015 at 11:28, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Think for example of a port that is just a collection of fonts without
>>a standalone application, how would you install that and then tell
>>your regular Cocoa apps about the fonts?

> There's no need to do that; the system does. In my experience (which stops at 10.9), copying a supported font into one of the font directories makes it available instantaneously to newly started applications (and IIRC even to currently running applications).

My example was about installing fonts somewhere in $prefix/share/$name
and then let Cocoa apps acknowledge them.

Cocoa is smart enough to reflect changes to /Library/Fonts (and
related) on the fly, I see Font Book displaying and removing fonts if
I move their files in and out the font directory.

--
Andrea