Python PortGroup resets depends_lib ?

Aljaž 'g5pw' Srebrnič g5pw at macports.org
Thu Oct 8 04:55:07 PDT 2015

On 8 ottobre 2015 at 13:14:31, René J.V. (rjvbertin at gmail.com) wrote:
On Thursday October 08 2015 11:46:49 Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
Hm, that’s interesting. Indeed on lines 110 and 187 of python-1.0.tcl depends_lib is used directly, but on lines 100 and 191 depends_lib-append is used.
In the qt4 PortGroup only depends_lib-append is used though. I wonder what happens if you call the python PortGroup first, and the qt4 one below it?

I haven't tried that in this case, but when I wrote my own port for py-kde4 I learnt that you either use the Python portgroup as the last included portgroup (and put up with its side-effects), or you don't use it - depending on whether the project uses `setup.py` for building. If you include the Qt4 portgroup after the Python portgroup it's quite possible that you have to reset things that are more complicated to reset than depends_lib.

I haven't yet looked at python-1.0.tcl in detail; do you think there's a reason to use depends_lib directly rather than appending to it, on the lines you cite? There are no comments to explain the difference (line 187 really should).

BTW, line 100 was changed from `depends_lib` to `depends_lib-append` yesterday, I guess I should check whether that change was in reaction to this thread and if it addresses the issue I ran in to. The commit message isn't very explicit about what's being appended to rather than overwritten ...
I don’t know the reason depends_lib is user, but in my (limited) knowledge, -append should equally work. Michael, what do you think?