[141129] trunk/dports/science/gr-fosphor

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Mon Oct 12 06:28:38 PDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015, at 01:49 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2015, at 10:15 AM, michaelld at macports.org wrote:
> > gr-fosphor: add a patch to fix finding Freetype2 headers, for those having issues (e.g., in 10.11).
> Can you tell me more about this problem?

Hi Ryan  - Sure. gr-fosphor uses a local/custom CMake script for finding
freetype2. When finding headers, it tries to be clever about where one
might be located by finding the version of freetype & then specifying
the header directory based on the version -- freetype/config/ftheader.h
versus config/ftheader.h. CMake already provides a robust mechanism for
doing this, by specifying various prefixes that might work. So, my patch
uses the actual found freetype2 header install directory as a starting
path hint, then looks for the header "config/ftheader.h" using an
optional prefix of "freetype". In this manner, CMake does all the work &
the find script is much simplified.

It is possible that there is already a FindFreetype2.cmake installed; I
didn't look. I know a lot of developers who prefer to either write their
own find* scripts, or copy from the original and tweak for their own
special sauce. In this manner they control the finding, not relying on
some possibly-changing script to do the work for them. It's not always
wise to use someone else's script, nor is it always wise to create your
own; each is case dependent. In this case, I know the developer & know
that he'd prefer to keep the find* in his project. Thus the need for
this patch. I'll also push the patch upstream.

Hope this is what you were looking for. - MLD