Plan B?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Oct 12 07:51:39 PDT 2015

On Oct 12, 2015, at 5:49 AM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
> I hate to ask that question and I'm not trying to suggest moving away
> just yet, but what is our plan B in case of some critical server
> failures?

I believe portmgr has said that they’ve discussed it.

> Do we have a backup plan or plan B? Are we able to move the services
> elsewhere if the current hosting becomes seriously broken one day,
> possibly without any prior notice?

The project controls the domain registration, so in a ’worst case scenario' we could move the domain and set up ‘new’ stuff.

> I don't want to start panicking, but it would be nice to have a
> backup/read-only mirror of trac and the main website somewhere. And
> possibly backups of other services.

I’d like to know if Apple isn’t interested in hosting for us anymore and if we should maybe look to do an orderly transition to somewhere else (or if something is changing to fix the lack of attention to problems that we’re currently seeing).

—
Daniel J. Luke