[141132] trunk/dports/lang/apple-gcc42/Portfile

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Oct 12 11:28:37 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-13 04:49 , Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

>> On Oct 11, 2015, at 23:15, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 11, 2015, at 11:14 AM, jeremyhu at macports.org wrote:
>>
>>> Revision
>>> 141132
>>> Author
>>> jeremyhu at macports.org
>>> Date
>>> 2015-10-11 09:14:38 -0700 (Sun, 11 Oct 2015)
>>> Log Message
>>>
>>> apple-gcc42: Drop support on ElCap
>>

>> On Oct 11, 2015, at 11:15 AM, jeremyhu at macports.org wrote:
>>
>>> Revision
>>> 141133
>>> Author
>>> jeremyhu at macports.org
>>> Date
>>> 2015-10-11 09:15:20 -0700 (Sun, 11 Oct 2015)
>>> Log Message
>>>
>>> llvm-gcc42: Drop support on ElCap
>>

>> On Oct 11, 2015, at 12:09 PM, jeremyhu at macports.org wrote:
>>
>>> Revision
>>> 141134
>>> Author
>>> jeremyhu at macports.org
>>> Date
>>> 2015-10-11 10:09:05 -0700 (Sun, 11 Oct 2015)
>>> Log Message
>>>
>>> Refactor and update portconfigure::get_compiler_fallback
>>>
>>> Separate out list generation into stages for easier updates in the future.
>>> Use newer clang versions when using libc++ as our default C++ runtime.
>>> Don't add legacy gcc fallbacks on El Capitan.
>>

>> Any particular reason you removed apple-gcc42 and llvm-gcc42 on El Capitan? We only just released MacPorts 2.3.4 which finally returned apple-gcc42 and llvm-gcc42 to the list of available compilers for Xcode 6 and later (r140687). Reverting r141132, apple-gcc42 builds fine for me on 10.11, and reverting r141133, llvm-gcc42 builds fine for me with apple-gcc42 on 10.11. Are there situations where these compilers don't work correctly because of a change in El Capitan?
>
> They don't support C11
> They don't support C++11
> They don't support libc++

None of that has changed since Yosemite.

> They've been deprecated for almost 5 years now.
> I don't want to give the impression that we actually support this legacy toolchain on modern systems; it's only purpose was to help build ports that weren't building with clang.
> If you don't want to drop support for them now, what do you consider a good time?  I'd prefer to not keep around legacy compilers if they're not actually needed.  So I guess I'll flip the question to you and ask if there's any compelling reason why one would still need them on El Cap.  Xcode 7's clang (and indeed macports-clang-3.7) is a much more mature, robust, and reliable compiler on El Cap than gcc-4.2.

Nobody's suggesting putting them anywhere but last in the fallback list.
There are still ports that won't build without them. Refusing to build
them at all when they do work isn't helpful. Add notes if you want to
make it crystal clear that nobody should be using these on recent
systems if they can help it.

If they break again in future, I doubt anyone will bother fixing them,
and that's fine.

- Josh