[141201] trunk/dports/math/ceres-solver/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 12 15:50:10 PDT 2015

On Oct 12, 2015, at 4:26 PM, Mark Moll wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2015, at 4:11 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Oct 12, 2015, at 12:25 PM, mmoll at macports.org wrote:
>>
>>> Revision
>>> 141201
>>> Author
>>> mmoll at macports.org
>>> Date
>>> 2015-10-12 10:25:29 -0700 (Mon, 12 Oct 2015)
>>> Log Message
>>>
>>> ceres-solver: update to version 1.11.0
>>
>>> +# some C demo programs are linked against a C++ library, which in turn
>>> +# requires linking against libc++
>>> +configure.ldflags-append -lc++
>>
>> libc++ is not part of Mac OS X 10.6 and earlier, and is not the default C++ runtime on OS X 10.8 and earlier. What happens with this port on those systems?
>
> What is the appropriate way to handle this? Something like this?:
>
> if {${configure.cxx_stdlib} eq “libc++”} {
> 	configure.ldflags-append -lc++
> } else {
> 	configure.ldflags-append -lstdc++
> }

Did you report the build failures you encountered without this code to the developer of ceres-solver? I don't think code like this should be needed. It should build correctly out of the box. If it doesn't, they should fix it.

The problem may be that they are using the C compiler as the linker when the code they are trying to link is actually C++ code so they should be using the C++ compiler as the linker.