[141132] trunk/dports/lang/apple-gcc42/Portfile

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Tue Oct 13 09:55:48 PDT 2015

On Oct 12, 2015, at 14:14, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at macports.org> wrote:

> Yes, and I was quite happy that the compilers failed to work in Yosemite, allowing me to mark them as unavailable.  Unfortunately, some life was breathed into them again, preventing them from slipping off to their well deserved graev.

If someone wants to do the maintenance work, I don’t see why we ought to artificially constrain their ability to do so. If nobody does the work, then the packages clearly aren’t a priority, and can be retired.

> libstdc++ does not exist on new platforms (eg: tvOS and watchOS).  Projects should not be using libstdc++ any more and should have migrated by now (unless, of course, they need to support Snow Leopard users still).

Apple has also dropped a number of POSIX-defined APIs on tvOS and watchOS, as well as a number of Darwin/Mach APIs; Apple’s modern platform priorities aren’t really a measure of what is ideal for — or required by — software users or developers on OS X.

>  I wouldn't be surprised if the headers disappeared from a future SDK or had markup preventing them from being used with a deployment target of 10.7 or higher.

If anything, I think MacPorts ought to be shielding users from Apple’s use of tooling updates to bitrot working software that happens to not be aligned with their release-to-release platform priorities.

-landonf