[141132] trunk/dports/lang/apple-gcc42/Portfile

Landon J Fuller landonf at macports.org
Wed Oct 14 09:21:32 PDT 2015

On Oct 13, 2015, at 9:16 PM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at macports.org> wrote:
>> If anything, I think MacPorts ought to be shielding users from Apple’s use of tooling updates to bitrot working software that happens to not be aligned with their release-to-release platform priorities.
>
> The best way to "shield users" is to fix or remove broken and unmaintained ports.

Unlike post-iOS7 Apple, I don’t think platform vendors serve their users by capriciously breaking working software. If the apple-gcc42 port — or any other — works, then I see no reason to forbid developers from using it.

If, in the future, it ceases to work, I see no reason to forbid interested parties from fixing it.

-landonf