platform

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Oct 28 14:13:37 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-29 06:02 , David Strubbe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can someone explain what the meaning of the possible values of the
> 'platforms' variable are in a Portfile? Most ports seem to list 'darwin'
> but I have seen some that say 'macosx' or even 'puredarwin'. I
> understand the meaning of clearly different operating system
> designations such as freebsd, linux, sunos, netbsd. But what is the
> meaning of these similar 'darwin' and 'macosx' labels? The guide is not
> very illuminating on this point.

Puredarwin is an OS based on Apple's open source Darwin releases and
doesn't include any of Apple's proprietary bits. Whereas 'macosx' is
what most of us use, OS X. Darwin in this context is the union of
puredarwin and macosx (i.e. in 'platforms' it means the port will work
on both of them, and in 'platform' statements the body will be executed
on both of them).

Cf. the os.platform and os.subplatform variables.

- Josh