migration instructions

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Sep 15 11:54:16 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-15 02:04, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2015-9-15 06:10 , David Strubbe wrote:
>> 1. Running "sudo port clean all" takes a huge amount of time. Apparently
>> many hours for me; I didn't have the patience to let it finish. Instead
>> we should clean just the ports that have incomplete builds (probably
>> just a few in most cases) which can be found by looking at
>> /opt/local/var/macports/builds and /optlocal/var/macports/logs I think,
>> saving a lot of time.
>
> I've never liked this step much, especially since by definition you
> should only be building installed ports during migration. But it is
> theoretically possible that someone has a half-finished build for a port
> they don't have installed but is a dependency of something else on the
> new platform only.
>
> 'sudo rm -rf /opt/local/var/macports/build/*' would do the trick but
> apparently that wasn't "nice" enough.

For future versions, we could add that to the reclaim command, turning
this into something like 'sudo port reclaim --work'. Does that sound
reasonable?

At first I thought about an 'unclean' pseudo-port, but that would still
require parsing all the ports, which is the time consuming part here.
Also, removing everything is more accurate, as there could be work
directories that do not match any port in the ports tree anymore.

Rainer