libexec vs lib

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Sep 19 10:15:46 PDT 2015

> On Sep 19, 2015, at 09:16, Andrew L. Moore <slewsys at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Guys,
> Macports appears to install qt5-mac, llvm-3.5 and llvm-3.7 wholesale under libexec.  This is not a traditional destination. Is there a reason for choosing libexec over lib?

lib isn't the right place either.  It's not all library content.  It's actually a nested prefix.  libexec was chosen as the base for this separate prefix to be most analogous with /usr/libexec/gcc/...

If we want to come up with a standard location for subprefixes (eg: ${prefix}/opt), I'd be happy to switch to that.