libexec vs lib

Thibaut Paumard thibaut at macports.org
Sun Sep 20 05:36:32 PDT 2015

Le 19/09/2015 13:16, Andrew L. Moore a écrit :
> Guys,
> Macports appears to install qt5-mac, llvm-3.5 and llvm-3.7 wholesale under libexec.  This is not a traditional destination. Is there a reason for choosing libexec over lib?

Hi,

In the Linux world, libexec is an optional directory in the File System
Hierarchy standard:
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s07.html

lib can also be used for the same purpose:
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s06.html

Debian and derivates only uses lib. I believe Red Hat et al. use libexec.

So it's purely a matter of personal choice and project policy.

I personally don't like libexec much. Unless the project decides on one
over the other, I'd tend to use whatever upstream uses for each port.

Kind regards, Thibaut.