compiler.whitelist and compiler installation side-effects

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 06:47:07 PDT 2015

On Sunday September 20 2015, Brandon Allbery wrote regarding "Re: compiler.whitelist and compiler installation side-effects"

>The point of the whitelist is to deal with buggy compilers. If 3.7 is
>preferred then it usually means that 3.6 can't build a working version of
>the port; as such, it would be expected to install a compiler that will

If that is the case, (macports-)clang-3.6 should be BLACKlisted, not whitelisted (and my arguments stand ...)
It makes no sense to put items on a white list that are not to be used.

>`port select` should never affect what compiler is used to build a port; if
>it does, that is a bug.

The "Using the right compiler" page lists "macports-clang" as "the MacPorts clang version selected via port select" (or words to that effect). If that token isn't supposed to be used in a whitelist it should be documented

>Compilers you have installed manually (i.e. not via MacPorts) should not be
>used to build ports; if one is, that is a bug.

Is there any particular reason to disallow using Intel's compiler, rather than discourage it because of lack of testing? (or Xcode, if you take the above to the letter ^^)

R.