Dist file mirror selection

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Mon Sep 28 18:50:42 PDT 2015

Hi:

What order does MacPorts use for fetching dist files?  My impression was that MacPorts would try to:

1) use a ‘close by’ mirror (based on ping times)
2) fetch from the main MacPorts dist file server (http://distfiles.macports.org/)
3) fall back to the master_site (GitHub, in my case[a])

That didn’t happen, at least for one user, viz:

--->  mythtv-e9b577d3.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/mythtv-core.27
--->  Attempting to fetch mythtv-e9b577d3.tar.gz from https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/tarball/e9b577d3

Why did it go GitHub rather than one of our mirrors (or the main site)?

Craig

[a] See ticket 48987 if you want the details.  I believe a git hook is run when the snapshot is being prepared and it behaves differently at different times. I’m trying to work with upstream to figure out when and why it changes.