multiple distfiles from multiple sources and with multiple compression types

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 02:49:01 PDT 2016

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> $ file -b /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/scapy/scapy-2.3.1.zip
>> POSIX shell script executable (binary data)

Those ought to be detected as executable scripts by libmagic, not as archives.

> Interesting, I did not know that kind of thing existed / was possible.

Many installers on MSWin are or used to be executable zip files; zip archives
with an executable wrapper. Zip recognises its own wrapper of course, and will
skip to the archive part if you hand it such a file.

Not 100% the same, but

man shar
man bzexe

;)