PortGroup directory hierarchy/priority

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 00:36:08 PDT 2016

Christopher Jones wrote:

>>> This is not in any way slower than rsync. With no actual changes, a

In fact, doesn't rsync only transfer the changed files, with a number of
optimisations on top of that? SVN supposedly does the same of course, but
includes the whole CVS directory. There has to be overhead associated with that.

> Not in my experience. I use an svn checkout as my main sources and do not
> update too regularly, but when I do its pretty fast.

Also, doesn't the rsync updater benefit from mirrors whereas I presume there's
only a single SVN server? That too can change speed depending on where you are.

I'll admit though that the only svn-based selfupdate (sync, rather) I've ever
done was on a slow set-up on which I've never tried the rsync-based method.
Still, my over all experience with SVN is that it's slow, even compared to other
CVS methods. YMMV, of course.

R.