Errors should probably come after notes?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Apr 16 08:12:28 PDT 2016

On 2016-04-15 19:47, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Ideally, ports should not print irrelevant notes. For example, if the
> notes are telling you about how to copy a sample config file to make
> changes, the port might be improved to not print those notes if the
> sample config file had already been copied.

The relevance of notes depends on the context. You might not want to see
it during a upgrade, but an explicit 'port notes' on the installed port
should always show everything.

You could still edit the notes in a post-activate phase (at least with
trunk), which could work when you just want to clear all notes. But
editing a specific section or sentence out of it would be difficult...

> Not sure what to do about the "port select" notes though. You could
> not print them if a version has already been selected, but users who
> deliberately do not select one would continue to see irrelevant
> notes.

I am not sure if we really need the difference between "unset" and the
explicit "none" select, but it could be implemented.

Rainer