install from local repository

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Apr 24 07:31:40 PDT 2016

On 2016-04-24 03:23, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Abdulrahman Alshammari
> <a.turqi at hotmail.com <mailto:a.turqi at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Error: Unable to execute port: Could not open file:
>     /Users/Abdulrahman/Desktop/ports/devel/civl/Portfile
>

> By default the "macports" user that is used to do builds etc. MacPorts
> tries to avoid actually doing things as root unless necessary) will not
> be able to access anything in your home directory. You could change Unix
> permissions or use ACLs to grant the macports user access. Remember that
> it needs at least "search" ("execute") on every directory leading to the
> one containing the file.
>
> You could use the Finder's Get Info to change ACLs, or see "chmod -e"
> ("man chmod").

I use this for my own ports tree in my home:

chmod -R +a "group:everyone allow
read,execute,list,search,file_inherit,directory_inherit" ~/ports/

This ensures that new files and directories created in the ports tree
get the correct permissions. Unfortunately, these ACLs only apply to new
files. They are not applied when moving existing files into the ports tree.

Any takers to document the need to set permissions in the guide here?

https://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories

Rainer